Drupal is on its way to become a truly multilingual CMS. We will be discussing the things that have been achieved already and the gaps we see as of now.
Multilingual from the word go.
- Language detection from browser during the first step of installation.
- Optional English (You can now remove English from your Site).
Multilingual support in core
4 Core modules in core which supports multilingual support for all the entities.
- Interface Translation
- Content Translation.
- Configuration Translation.
- 4 Core modules in core which supports multilingual support for all the entities.
- Better language selection and more flexibility for language selection.
- Blocks and Views support for multilingual.
- Better language selection (URL negotiation enabled by default)
Issues faced and fixes.
- Challenges when default language is changed after the installation.
- Cache clearing leading missing label translations.
- Cache clearing leading to wrong breadcrumb.
- How you can contribute to multilingual initiative.
Gokul is a Technical Architect and practice head at Azri. He started his career as Java developer and moved to Drupal spotting its potential. He has been working with Drupal since 2009 and is the core maintainer of Automatr Module - A deeply integrated Marketing Automation tool for Drupal. He is an active part of Drupal Community Bangalore and frequently writes about Drupal.
He is a regular speaker at Drupal Meetups in Bangalore and Drupal Camps in India.
- Speaker at DrupalCamp Mumbai
- Speaker at DrupalCamp Delhi
- Speaker at DrupalCamp Deccan